The Movement's objections to the project
The developers are insisting that the sandy beach will not be touched. Whatever they say, the beach and all the surrounding area will definitely suffer.
- The project which includes a hotel, a small village and a yacht marina is too extensive for such a small area as Hondoq ir-Rummien. Consequently the planned building will be crammed along the rock face turning the present beautiful rock panorama into an eyesore. What is more the sandy beach will be engulfed by it.
- The clear waters of Hondoq ir-Rummien will become heavily polluted. The heavy sea traffic envisaged which will enter and leave the creek just a few meters away from the beach will surely take its toll in the waters of the bay.
- The present peace and quietness which are the main attraction of Hondoq ir-Rummien will be totally destroyed with the coming and going of yachts and holiday makers and with the heavy traffic generated in servicing the whole area.
- Once this project is approved it will not be a one off but will surely be the first of a string of development which will devour the whole eastern side of Gozo at a very quick pace as happened in other areas of the island.
- It is not just Hondoq ir-Rummien that will suffer but the whole village of Qala will suffer too. The traffic which such development will generate will have to make its way through the quiet and narrow streets of the village, destroying the peace for which it is so well known and because of which so many make it their holiday place.